Have You Been Charged with a Crime in Colorado?
At Welsh Law, LLC, we understand how difficult this time is for you and will use our skills and experience to fight on your behalf. Our Colorado criminal defense lawyer will explain every legal option available to you and how our team can achieve the best possible outcome. Contact our office today at (720) 836-1777 for a free consultation.
Why Contact a Criminal Defense Attorney?
Depending on the specifics of your charge, you could be facing jail time, fines, probation, and a criminal record that can affect both your professional and personal life, among other possible issues. A tough, experienced lawyer can make all the difference to your future.
Each case is different, which is why our team at Welsh Law, LLC, will examine every detail of the crime in question. An overlooked piece of information can make all the difference in reaching a successful outcome.
Types of Criminal Defense Cases We Handle
- DUI, DAI, and other auto-related crimes: Being charged with drunk driving, also known as DUI, can have several consequences. A first DUI conviction may cost over $10,000. Depending on the details of the case, such as your blood alcohol content and history, you can have your license revoked, have to attend mandatory counseling and treatment for alcohol and drug abuse, and pay enormous fines.
- Drug crimes: Whether you are being charged with drug possession or sales and distribution, you face jail time, drug counseling and testing, legal fines, and possible unemployment. We can negotiate on your behalf to have the charges reduced to a misdemeanor instead of a felony, or dropped altogether.
- Sex crimes: Prostitution and solicitation are usually charged as misdemeanors. Sexual assault or sex crimes involving minors, however, are felonies that can result in a very long prison sentence. Your name would also be added to the Colorado sex offender registry, which can affect where you live and work.
- Domestic violence: Domestic violence is not charged as a separate crime in Colorado; it is added to other types of charges, such as assault. The prison sentence for a conviction would be increased with the enhancement of domestic violence.
- Theft, burglary, and robbery: Shoplifting, breaking and entering, auto theft, and other property crimes are common in Colorado. The penalties for theft may consist of a fine and probation or a decades-long prison sentence if weapons were involved.
Our legal team is skilled at challenging all of these charges and getting results for clients.
The Criminal Defense Process
If you have not been charged with a crime before, the experience can be quite daunting. After you have been arrested and put in holding, a judge will either set bail or release you on your own recognizance. Meanwhile, the local district attorney will review the case and decide whether they want to prosecute you. If so, the court will hold a formal reading of the charges against you, which is known as an arraignment. At this point, you definitely want to have a lawyer by your side.
What follows is usually a negotiation between your defense attorney and the prosecutors, which can take weeks or even months. Most cases are resolved without ever going to trial. But, if you are tried for a crime, your attorney must convince the jury that you are not guilty – that there is reasonable doubt about you committing the exact crime you are being charged with.
If you are found “not guilty,” you are free and can never be charged with the same crime again (double jeopardy). If you are found “guilty,” you are convicted of the crime and will face a sentencing hearing, where the judge will decide on your punishments.
Seek Help When Facing a Criminal Charge
Being a cog in the criminal justice system can be intimidating, but having a tough Colorado criminal defense attorney on your side can make all the difference. Welsh Law, LLC, will use decades of experience to reach the best possible outcome for your case. Your future hangs in the balance, which is why it is important to have skilled legal help.
If you have been charged with a crime and are looking to understand the options available to you, Welsh Law, LLC, is here to assist you with your case. We will examine all the evidence and explain how we plan to fight on your behalf for a successful outcome. Contact our office today at (720) 836-1777 for a free consultation.
Criminal Defense Case Results
- Client charged with a felony. After continued investigation and negotiation with the officers and prosecuting attorneys, Mr. Welsh resolved the client's case with a dismissal of the felony count in exchange for a reduced misdemeanor plea without probation and without a jail sentence.
- Client charged with DUI and a refusal. Mr. Welsh successfully argued on behalf of the client at the DMV hearing, and the client retained his driving privileges.
- Client charged with Child Abuse. After negotiations, Mr. Welsh was able to convince the district attorney to dismiss the case in its entirety.
View more case results here.